Thursday, May 1, 2008

Contentment

Right now I'm struggling with contentment. Our small groups are discussing this topic on Sunday nights, and the good Lord knew I needed a few lessons on it! I want a bigger house, I want a new van, I want an updated kitchen (if I'm having to stay in this house), and the list goes on. I'm having trouble deciding which things are wants and actual needs. My van is 10 years old with 130,000 miles. Understand... she is my baby. So many things do not work, but she's paid for and runs ok. The air is tempermental, the TAPE PLAYER (no cd's here) doesn't work, only one window will roll down properly, and again the list goes on. We are planning on doing some traveling this summer...will this van make it? Who knows!

I love the verse in Philippians 4 where Paul says he knows what it is to be content. I'm trying to learn. It seems I have seasons of contentment, but I apparently am not in one of those at the moment. I am truly blessed with a wonderful husband, healthy children, and a stable income. I have to remind myself of my blessing daily. God is good and thankfully patient with me.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Hey Cara,
Being content is hard. I think everyone struggles with it. I know I do. Sometimes I feel bad for getting my new van. But I would have spent quite a bit to drive it safely. So I try to think of it as a wise investment. But I do miss my "baby". I hope to drive this one til the wheels fall off. We are a very blessed family as well, and I am so thankful. For my family and friends(like you). Have a great weekend!
Love Ya,
Tina

Andrea said...

Last night I did a new monthly budget. I'm not working now, and I won't be working all summer, so things are pretty tight. Actually VERY tight. So I understand the struggle for being content, all too well. Mike and I are committed to paying off all of our debts in the next two years, which means Starbucks and dinners out are on the very, very back burner for awhile. BUT, my family is here and healthy. And my God is faithful. So is yours! Take heart my dear friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cara! Your little princess is so beautiful! I am so excited for ya'll and can't wait to meet her in person. I think most of us struggle with being content. I do find that my struggle lessens some when I notice that my kids are starting to take on that struggle as well possibly/probably from hearing in around them. Reminding them is a great reminder for me too!

Sara said...

We are learning contentment as we look for a house. It is easy getting wrapped up in wanting the bigger and newer homes and thinking you are not content in anything less!

Maria R. said...

This is a lesson I need to hear on Wednesday nights for sure. I struggle with this daily. Dallas, Texas kinda does that to me, but I am trying very hard to be content.

Thank you for posting.