Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Great day!

How can I have a 2nd grader and a pre-K4? I can't believe how old they are getting. I swear they both grew a foot over the summer. Rain, rain, go away.

Big blue eyes!

The boys both had a great day for their first day of school. Derek does NOT like change, so he teared up a bit this morning. He gets so nervous with anything out of the norm. Bless his heart, I'm not sure why he is this way and I must admit, it gets really frustrating. I walked him to where his class was sitting in the hallway, talked to a few of his classmates, and turned around to say bye and he's all teary. Being that he cried himself to sleep last night, I was in no mood to deal with it this morning. I told him I loved him, that I would not come pick him up if he threw up (something he can do on command) and I would be back at 3:15 to pick him up. I know no mother of the year awards are in my future, but Kent and I both feel we can't "give in" to him crying about so many things. Last night I reminded him of how smart he is and about how many friends he has. I told him he should be so confident, not so scared. Any advice from all you blogger friends on how to deal with him?

Of course this afternoon he was all smiles and said "You were right, mom. It was his best first
day ever!" So prayerfully, tomorrow will be much smoother than this morning.

Austin is a different bird all together. He was so excited and couldn't go to sleep fast enough last night. He walked in this morning like an old pro. All smiles when I picked him up, too. Yea!

As you can see from the pictures, I has rained ALL day. These are from our back yard. We haven't seen it this bad and we've lived in this house for 6 1/2 years. Rain is in the forecast for the whole week.

9 comments:

Sara said...

I totally feel Derek's pain..I ALWAYS had a hard time adjusting when school started up each year. Each year the night before school started, I would be so nervous and couldn't sleep that I'd end up in my parents bed. My advice is to be sensitive, but encouraging him to be confident. It always helped me to know that my parents understood that I was nervous about change and understood that I might cry (and usually did). And they always were good to build up my confidence. It is a balance for sure b/c you don't want to be overly sensitive to him, but you also want him to feel like you understand him as well.

Anyway..glad the day went well for all!

Magen said...

I would say to just to validate that his feelings are very normal and the nerves will go away very soon as the "fear of the unknown" goes away. Isn't it funny how kids are all so very different (i.e., Derek nervous and Austin excited)? :)

What a coincidence (or not) - Sandy Sanford covered this very topic in his blog last week. Check it out at http://www.eldoark.com/sitepages/pid316.php
But check it fast because when he updates it, this entry will be gone.

Rhonda said...

This is the first year that Britton hasn't cried, so maybe he will grow out of it as he gets older.

Kristi said...

Um, a second grader? I didn't think we were old enough for that! Glad you had a good first day. My nephew started a new school yesterday and I prayed all day he would find a friend. I can't imagine what the stress would have been like if he had been my own kid...

Andrea said...

I swear our children are scary in their similarities! Zach is exactly the same way with the nervousness and tears. And Alec is the same way with the non-nervousness. I've actually had several conversations with Z this summer about being brave and confident and how important it is for him to learn to control those tears. I know your struggles with that. Especially since he's a boy and the oldest, it's a hard thing to deal with as a parent. I'll pray for you and Kent and I'll ask for your prayers in return!

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like you're doing a great job! Derek is a sensitive boy, and I think you handled it well. I'm sure he'll grow out of it. By the way, they're such handsome young men. :)

Andrea said...

Gotta say that I LOVE the pic of you and B at the top!

Redhead Rambles said...

Your kids are getting so BIG! :) I love that photo of you and the little one.

Elizabeth Johnston said...

Love the pictures...especially the one of you and Brylee! Brock started Pre-K this year too! That's neat that Austin and him will be in the same grade! Glad to hear things are going great for you! Would love to see you!