Monday, June 16, 2008

So, it's 1:15 in the morning and our doorbell rings...

three times really fast. Of course I'm the only one awakened by the noise. My heart is beating fast as I start punching Kent and waking him up. He is dazed and confused! I explain that the doorbell rang and it's 1:15 a.m.. We walk down the hall (me behind him), he looks out the window of the front door while I shield myself in the hallway. He says there's no one there. I assure him the doorbell rang several times. My heart is still beating fast. In my head I'm thinking some escaped convict has made his way to our house wanting in, but that doesn't make sense because would they really ring the doorbell? So I'm trying to be rational. Kent makes his way to the kitchen/garage door, I'm still hiding in the hall. I hear him talking to someone. I can't quite make out what he's saying, and since he's calm, I get closer. Kent comes back into the kitchen from the garage and tells me that my dear oldest son was peeing on the freezer! WHAT! .... WHAT! I then go to the doorway as Derek is making his way in. He is carrying a sponge and a wet vac attachment. I asked, what do you have there? He said, my clothes. Bless his heart...he has no clue where he is or what he is doing. He's sleepwalking! We've caught him 2 times before. Once he walked in our room one night while Kent and I were still awake. He proceeds to walk to my vanity stool, turn it on it's side and get in the pee pose. NOOOOOOO, I scream and he "wakes up" and goes to the real toilet. The next time he walks in our room and goes in the closet. I follow him knowing he's about to use the bathroom on my shoes. I stop him of course before that happened. Why all these events have to do with urinating...I have no idea!

This time was different than the rest. He went to the garage and rang the doorbell, peed on the freezer and picked up "his clothes". What's scary is, will he go outside next? He had no recollection of last night's events when he woke up this morning. CRAZY!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Cara!! That is TOO funny!! Scary, albeit, but hilarious! I think maybe you should start writing all of this down (if you're not already) and write a book someday! Never a dull moment...
Thanks for the entertainment! Ha! Hope you all are doing well! Miss you!
-Jen W.

Magen said...

Definitely scary! I guess he was trying to "turn on the light" when he was ringing the doorbell. Hilarious! I changed my blog name to http://magensmemoirs.blogspot.com/
Thanks

Michelle said...

I have tears in my eyes, from laughing so hard!!!! Bless him, that is also very scary!! I wonder what he's dreaming about that gets him up on the move. I guess the obvious answer is, he must be dreaming about going to the bathroom!

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaha,I was just laughing so loud!! What in the world?!? I love it though! Making some good memories! :) Can't wait to see ya'll next weekend!! love ya'll!!

Mel

Andrea said...

Good grief! Have you talked to a doctor about it? That would scare me to death. Seriously it would. Yes, it's funny...now. But I would have had a heart attack at 1:15 in the morning!

Poor D. You are going to be able to torment the poor child with sleepwalking/peeing stories for the foreseeable future!

Anonymous said...

Bless Derek's little heart! I can't remember for sure whether it was his Grandpa Charlie or his great-uncle Tommy, but our mother caught one of them about to pee in the record player in the corner of the bedroom one time. I would definitely mention this to his doctor. This could be dangerous.
Love Austin's "racing" story! That boy would definitely get along with his great-uncle Ron!

Cristy said...

Cara,

This is Cristy Farley. I have been reading your blog for sometime now and you have 3 very sweet children. Our Blake (8) has done the same thing. Mark caught him peeing on piles of laundry one night and it was hysterical. There were a few other incidents and of course he does not remember a thing. We talked to the pediatrician and he's just sleepwalking. The above incident happened about 18 months ago. Since then we've moved into a 2 story house with all the kids upstairs and us down. So who knows what's going on in the middle of the night! Have a good week and keep your front door locked!

Anonymous said...

my brother used to do that when he was a kid...the fridge was a daily target =)